Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Wednesday, August 27, 2014

VP Messages to/from Staff

It is difficult in a leadership position with 150 employees to get to know each and every person in a personal way. But, when you've been with an organization as long as I have, I come to learn a lot about staff. Kay Stegall's family loves horses. Emily Miller has sweet two-year old twins. Brad Harris loves to garden. Pat Hardy has a heart larger than life. Andre Temple has had his picture taken with more people than Elvis. Terri Kinloch has lots of funny jokes (don't get her started). We have a slew of Veterans working in IPS and I appreciate their service to our country. Wendy Eddy is a competitive dancer, and I still have the Christmas present Brian Spears gave me in 1992 - a basket of potpourri. Chuck Shoopman and his dog Winston take morning walks. I could go and on, but I won't. Suffice it to say I have enjoyed getting to know each person who has passed my way.

The day after I announced my retirement, I started writing notes to every staff member. The purpose was not to receive praise in return, but to express my sincere appreciation for what each and every one of you do for your agency, IPS, UT and the citizens of Tennessee. You make a difference and I have tried to use every venue possible to tell your story.

So, it was with much joy and a little sadness that I began receiving notes in return. Thank you for your kindness.


I’ve received the nice card you recently mailed to me and was truly touched by your sentiment and thoughts.  It reminded me that after every hospital stay I’ve had over the past 13 years, there was always a get-well card from you waiting in my mailbox when I got home....   I hope that you will enjoy this new phase of your life to the fullest.  And that you will keep in touch with all of us. Thanks for all you did for UT, IPS and MTAS.  And for your friendship, tolerance and encouragement. David (Angerer, MTAS)
 
I was deeply touched by your kind note. You did a great job leading IPS to another level. I am grateful for your support of TREEDC and please stay in touch- hopefully, our paths will cross soon. Thank you for everything. You are a class act! Regards, Warren (Nevad MTAS)

I want to thank you for the personal note you sent … very classy and much appreciated. I’m sure I only know a tiny fraction of what you have done to make IPS a better place for all of us to work.  Having worked for many different organizations, I appreciate what you have done to make our salaries competitive.  That takes a long, persistent effort in higher education.  I hope you enjoy some well-deserved time off until you take on your next project, whatever that may be. I also hope our paths cross again. All the best, Martha (Kelly CIS)

I got your note in the mail on yesterday and wanted to Thank You.   I would think that you would have a millions things to do before next week so thanks for thinking of me.  I wish you well in your retirement and hope to see you around.  Thanks again for all of your support over the years!!!! Jon (Walden CTAS)

Thank you for the kind letter and the Exchange newsletter.  That was an interesting project for Don and me.  I wish it had been more successful.  We have been through a lot in my 18 years at IPS and the University. Please enjoy your retirement and being a grandma.  I have four grandchildren and it is always a pleasure to see them and then give them back to mom and dad. Best wishes. John (Erdmann, CIS)

Thank you Mary for all your hard work at IPS in making it the best that it could be. Thanks also for your kindness to me through our years of working together. Armintha (Loveday, MTAS)

I just wanted  to say you will be missed. I appreciate all you've done for me. Thanks for your words of encouragement along the way.... Vicki (South, MTAS)

Thank you for your very nice note.  I have enjoyed working with you and wish you the very best.  Enjoy your retirement and spoil that grandbaby! Wendy (Eddy, CIS)
 
I received you card in the mail yesterday and wanted to thank you for the kind words that you said. Since I’m out in the field in Middle Tennessee a lot with my job, you and I never got to see much of each other, however, the time that I did get to spend with you I enjoyed. I hope that you enjoy retirement ..... Tell Jack that I said hello and I think of him anytime a county starts talking about enhancing ambulance billing. I’m only 40 but I’ve noticed that life seems to be a circle and I keep running into folks that I haven’t seen in a while, so hopefully we will see each other again on this “something new every day”journey through life. Until then, Doug (Bodary CTAS)

 


 

 

1 comment:

SRobertson said...

What a great post! Agree with all of the sentiments. You will be missed around here!

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621