Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Tuesday, August 26, 2014

You can be Vice President

I've never shared my "story" very broadly, but as I reflect on my life and career, I thought it might inspire you to believe you can be a university vice president some day, or something even greater.

I was birthed at Jackson Madison County General Hospital by Dr. Thomas Ballard; how ironic that another Tom Ballard would eventually have such an influence on my life.

My father was a Captain with the Jackson Fire Department and my mother was a stay-at-home Mom of three. I am the middle child and only girl. My father died at the scene of a fire when I was six years old. My mother had few coping skills and to say my childhood was a little unusual would be an understatement. I was fortunate to have a great-grandmother and an aunt and uncle who provided stability in my life.

At the age of 14 I was removed from my home, sent to Nashville, and placed in a state-run residential facility for "dependent and neglected" children. Some may think, how sad. For me, it was the best possible scenario. Upon graduation I received a full scholarship to any four year public school in the state. I chose UTK because I had read it was a good school and it was far away from "home."

I started UTK during the summer quarter (yes we were on the quarter system, not the semester system in the "old" days.) My high school guidance counselor had me convinced that I was not smart enough nor did I have the coping skills to succeed in such a large school. He underestimated my determination and will to be successful. I went on to graduate in four years with a bachelor's in business administration and a concentration in public administration, while enduring the painful murder of my older brother by a drug addict looking for money while robbing a convenience store. Meanwhile my younger brother took a different path and has spent a good part of his life in the justice system.

I had several major influences during my college experience; among them Dr. Bob Cunningham. He and Dr. Otis Stevens asked me about attending graduate school. No one in my family had ever graduated from college, so I had certainly never considered graduate school as an option. But, I was admitted on provisional status to prove that I could do the work. I did indeed succeed and graduated with a master's in public administration with a concentration in public finance in two year.

During undergraduate and graduate school I worked at UTK in various student positions and eventually a graduate assistant position. When I graduated with my master's I was fortunate to obtain a full-time position in what was then known as "residence halls" as their business manager. Every day I walked pass signs that said "Institute for Public Service." I didn't know what they did, but I thought it sure sounded like something that I would enjoy.

In the meantime I had married and had one child, my wonderful daughter Amanda. I saw a job opening for a business assistant in IPS, interviewed and was eventually hired by Gary Baskette. Thus began my long career in IPS. I worked for Gary and then Tom Ballard and Sammie Lynn Puett. I moved to Nashville and served as training consultant for cities and counties while also serving as assistant director of the Center for Government Training. Tom eventually asked me to come back to Knoxville where I served in a variety of roles including IT, HR, publications, etc.  Truly I know IPS inside and out better than any other human on earth. That's why I love it so.

Tom eventually retired. Hank Dye became my new mentor. He also loved the mission of IPS and eventually convinced the president that he had too many responsibilities and that IPS should have its own VP. So, in 2008 I was promoted to VP. What a great place UT is to work. What great opportunities are available to us to learn and grown. What a career!  I wouldn't take any of it back.

So, the moral of the story is, no matter where you start in life, you can be a vice president or whatever you want to be, if you are willing to work hard enough, take risks, lean on your mentors, and learn every step of the way. Are these United States not truly the land of opportunity?

No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621