Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Friday, August 29, 2014

Best Wishes for a Bright Future

This is my last blog post as Vice President of the Institute for Public Service. I have enjoyed 31 wonderful years at UT, most of them at IPS. The results of the work of this place touches every Tennessean; they just don't know it. You help keep their taxes low, their government more efficient, their businesses healthy and their law enforcement well trained. You help create leaders for today and tomorrow, and champion great causes in many areas including economic development. I could not be more proud to have served a career helping to guide this place.

I've said many times, I understand that it is the staff who make things happen and do the good work. I held the fortunate position of being able to brag about it to others.
  • The President and his senior staff are much more aware of the work of IPS than they were a decade ago and we have on-going partnerships with every campus and institute.
  • The Board of Trustees understands the importance of what we do and they support our mission.
  • Even though we've seen tough economic times during the last decade or so, MTAS received a $550K increase in state appropriation, LEIC received a $500K increase in state appropriation and the Naifeh Center received a $75K increase in state appropriation, in addition to the other increases that the state funded for salary increases, benefits and operating.
That's not a bad track record, and I didn't make it happen. The staff and their excellent work speaks for itself.

Also during this time we have:
  • increased staff salaries by an average of 40 percent while the cost of living during the same period increased 32 percent.
  • We've made it a priority and provided funding for a minimum of 32 hours of professional development every year to keep skills and knowledge current.
  • We improved our performance measures and therefore our accountability to the tax payers who provide our funding whether it be through federal tax dollars, state tax dollars or local tax dollars.
  • The Balanced Scorecard demonstrates our progress and I believe the Baldrige criteria will move our organization toward greatness.
I am not a perfect leader, but I have led with dedication and conviction to do the right thing, to treat everyone fairly, and to create opportunities for all. I have been an advocate for IPS and, at times, I've been a pain in the side for some. I accepted my role, and I have just a few "do-overs" I wish I could get to.

This is a GREAT place. It accomplishes amazing work. And, this is not a job, it is a calling. To serve the public is not for the faint of heart. I appreciate all the opportunities that have been provided to me by many mentors along the way. Gary Baskette hired me into IPS. Tom Ballard mentored me into a leadership role. Hank Dye could not have been a stronger advocate, and there are many more to whom I am eternally grateful. Joe DiPietro is a great president and he is moving the university toward excellence. I appreciate  all the friends and colleagues that I have made along the way. And, I most appreciate the support I've been provided by those who also believe in our mission.

Special thanks to the Central Office staff who have made coming to work a joy every day. We laugh together. We play together. And, sometimes we cry together. I love them all!

I look forward to hearing great things in the future. There is much work left to be done. God speed to all of you.

Sincerely,
Mary

No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621