Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Monday, March 4, 2013

What I learned from the Coast Guard

Of course I've never served in the Coast Guard, but I recently came across their PIG - Performance Improvement Guide. I was intrigued enough by the title to browse through part of the 170 page document. I was struck by how they talk about performance improvement:

"Leading-edge organizations use performance measurement and management systems to gain insight into, and make judgments about, the effectiveness and efficiency of their programs, processes, and people. Best-in-class organizations determine and use indicators to measure progress toward meeting strategic goals and objectives, gather and analyze performance data, and use the results to both drive improvements and successfully translate strategy into action."

 We have been collecting data for decades and we are beginning to use the data for better decision making. I look forward to our work together as we become a "best-in-class" organization.






No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621