Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Guest Blog from Marty Spears

The University of Tennessee

When I started thinking about what to write for my blog post, I kept coming back to what the University means to me. I attended my first game in 1969 and have never looked back. Whether it was Condredge Holloway or Peyton Manning or Tyler Bray in football; the Ernie and Bernie show, or Lofton and Bradshaw in basketball, the memories are still there. My brother attended UT and I would visit in the summer, and while he attended class I roamed the campus. If any of you were at UT between 1973 and 1977 you probably saw me in the summers on campus and wondered who that little twerp was. Many family trips were made in the fall to games. I carried on the tradition with my son and now he is a student on the Hill. I am saying all of this because after I came to CTAS I knew this was hopefully my last job I would have. The atmosphere is like a family. The acquaintances I have made in the Leadership Academy will carry me the rest of my life. I know I am able to call on any one and get help, not only in work but personally. Mary asked me when she interviewed me if I had anything I wanted to add and I told her I knew when I was younger I would work for UT, I just thought I would have been Head Basketball coach. Well, it’s a good thing I wasn’t, but I am proud to be working for IPS, CTAS and representing The University of Tennessee. GO VOLS

Note from Mary Jinks - Marty currently serves as the IPS representative to the UT Board of Trustees' Committee on Research, Outreach and Economic Development. He attends three meetings annually and will serve a two-year term.

No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621