Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Budget Update

I'm sure many of listened to or read about the governor's budget presentation last night. There are many, many details for us to understand before I can report on the total impact, but I'll share my current understanding.

The higher ed budget was cut 6% overall. The three IPS line items are cut 3.4%, continued recognition that we do not have the opportunity to raise student fees to supplement our budget like the campuses do. We were anticipating this part of the budget and already have a plan to deal with these cuts.

There was one piece of news that I was not expecting. The governor has proposed a 3% bonus for state employees. Of course the budget has to pass the legislature and the rules must be written, but this is really good news in an otherwise bleak budget outlook.

I'll share more as details become available.

No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621