Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

UT/Institute for Public Service



Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Supervisor Survey Results: Feedback

Yes, we really read all the comments on the supervisors' survey and we take them seriously. Here's a sampling of what we heard this year.

Many positive:


"My supervisor is a breath of fresh air! He works closely with me and listens to my concerns as well as my suggestions and/or "hints" to keep him on track with our employees and board members. Makes my job enjoyable."

"Unlike most managers I've had, ******* is incredibly willing to be the "bad guy." She isn't afraid of listening to my concerns or working with me to address these concerns. I also find her incredibly fair when it comes to addressing concerns. She is neither afraid of telling me how I can change my behavior to better work processes/relations, nor of taking the responsibility as a manager to establish and enforce changes in departmental behavior/work flow that increase efficiency. I find ******* very happy to work with people at their own levels. Specifically, I am very motivated and responsible and don't need to be prompted to get my work done."

"Please do not disregard my ratings above, as is common in survey analysis when the highest scores are awarded, as this is a truthful analysis and evaluation. ***** deserves the highest of ratings, across the board. She is a dream supervisor. I truly appreciate her support."

"He has closed the gap between the staff and management in our organization. He is open and honest and has high expectations for us and himself. He is direct with suggestions and constructive criticism, but he also gives praise and support where it is needed."

"Very organized and clear. Has the greatest work ethic I've ever seen."

And, some not as positive:

"He has a poor work ethic."

"Very supportive and receptive, down to earth, and willing to help if asked. The only suggestions I have are that he needs to work on his organization and time management skills, so tasks aren't left to the last moment, often creating stressful situations for himself and his employees."

"Management at IPS is relatively ineffective and doesn't seem to have experience in team or confidence-building. This is not directly related to my boss, it's an observation in general. Communication needs to be improved on all levels."

"Unfortunately, his disposition is to micromanage which comes across as very disrespectful of people's talents and capabilities."

Continue to give us feedback. We read, we listen and we respond. No change happens over night, but is a continuous experience. I value your feedback.

No comments:

Border Photo

Institute for Public Service
105 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-6621